Saturday 27 February 2016

Responsibility




This blog entry might sound like it, but it is not my purpose to sell myself in a good light today. People who know me know it is true: I love being responsible.

Lately I am thinking a lot about everything that makes me happy or unhappy, but also which characteristics are special about me. This might be due to all the job interviews lining up.
I think one of my strongest characteristics is that I like being in charge. As head of a society I loved having an overview, managing tasks and working together with people. I always want to see the big picture. Currently I am class representative and I realized that age and experience made me confident. I am not afraid to talk to authorities anymore, even if I have to deliver critique- the right tone and an open mind solved almost any problem in (my) history. Even in daily life when I am out with my friends, I am usually the one organizing a trip, getting the group's birthday present, driving the car, knowing where we are and where to go (I love Google Maps!). This is not necessarily a good thing- I am pretty sure that in history I ruined someone else's chance to step up. Since I started my masters I am trying to stay put and trust other people's organisation skills.

Apart from being in charge, I like being responsible in an ecological way. One thing that really bothers me when I live outside Germany is that people do not recycle or separate trash. The building I am currently living in only separates paper. Food, plastic, glass and everything else go into one bin- this is upsetting me every day. In the supermarkets I am trying to buy loose fruits and vegetables and always get a funny look from the cashier when I refuse to take an extra plastic bag.
Once I earn money I will buy as much as possible from local markets or organic shops. At the moment I am mostly shopping in discounters and the more I think about it, the guiltier I feel. I am not a vegetarian, but luckily French discounters sell organic meat, eggs and dairy products.
See original imageGreat step forwards: EU wide organic sign.

I really do not want to lecture anyone because I am far far away from being an ecological role model! There is room for improvement. If anything, I would like to encourage people to find their own ecological balance. I am not asking anyone to buy more expensive, organic food, eat less meat or buy less clothes, but sometimes, waste is really unnecessary. "Think twice" will be the title of an upcoming post, I feel like this one is getting too long.

Recycle on,
Johanna

#keeploving

No comments:

Post a Comment